Georgia K9 NTC Professional Tracker School
Edisto Island, South Carolina.
This school is truly the first of its kind in the United States. Never before has there been a full time training program specifically designed for law enforcement tracking. Unlike many other programs that concentrate on a variety of K9 disciplines, primarily detection, the Georgia K9 NTC Tracker School is pure tracking, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Our program is dedicated to the tracker and we don’t do it part time or on request; we live and breathe it. Georgia K9 NTC produces and develops proven man-hunters and our clients are our best advertisement. There is no other K9 Trainer in the world today that trains more professional military and police K9 trackers than we do. We are the “Go To” source for specialized combat tracking for our military as well as tactical support operations for Law Enforcement SWAT.
We like to train in very small groups and generally host no more than 6 students at a time in a group setting. Individual students may be paired with one or two other handlers per training day.
Lodging on site is either at our 200 year old modernized cabin that can sleep two comfortably or our Off The Grid Prepper house that houses one or a couple. Both are decked out with everything anyone would need for a vacation stay to include Satellite TV with all the channels and WiFi. Kennels will be provided upon request. We have three other cabins off site for larger groups.
Tactical & Trailing Equipment
Long lead 20-30 foot
Stout dog collars
Portable water containers, camel packs are best
At least two pairs of boots you can run in
Loose pants that can take some abuse
Personal first aid kit
Flea and tick products
Small red lens flashlight or headlamp. LED is best
Gloves that allow you to shoot
At least one box of sterile 4X4 gauze pads
At least one box of zip-lock baggies.
Shooting glasses clear or amber.
Any medical item you might need in the field
Knife or utility tool.
Small spool of para-cord.
Small fire starting kit or wet/dry matches.
Protein bars or similar fast snack with calories
Communications gear if you plan on operating as a team without hand and arm signals.
*Boots need to fit the environment. Training areas with lots of water or swamp land will mean that your feet will get wet. If your boots cannot drain, they will need to be changed frequently to avoid blisters and other foot problems. If you are not used to trailing long distance, keep in mind that you will be walking and jogging from 4-12 miles per day. Make sure your boots are broken in and comfortable for this type of activity. You cannot simply test wear boots on the street for a day to know this. It is important to run and walk long distances on uneven surfaces to know this. This is the most important part of the equipment list. Your feet will not forgive you if you use the wrong boots or shoes
For All Tactical Field Work Training:
*Please wear a camouflage type uniform for field exercises of a woodland or jungle background. Black, Urban grey/ blue cammo is not suitable. Keep in mind that you will be a target in FTX’s and if you stand out like a sore thumb, you will probably get hit.
**Because the FTX’s will be “live fire” absolutely no personal firearms or live ammunition are to be carried in any manner in the field except by TTT trainers or staff. You may wear your holsters on duty web gear, helmets, or any other normal equipment that you might have during rural manhunts.
***Take the time to check all your gear for serviceability prior to FTX’s. We recommend that all shiny surfaces be dulled with tape or paint. All loose and noisy accoutrements on any web gear need to be fastened down or taped together to reduce noise. If you can jump up and down with your web gear on and you jingle, you have some work to do. Check your dog’s gear for the same noise making items. If your dog’s gear makes noise you will give your position away on FTX’s.
How Do I Sign Up?
It is pretty simple. You simply need to choose how you want to train: With us at our facility on Edisto Island, SC, or in your own stomping ground- “Off Site Training”. Both programs are highly effective; however, training at our facility is probably the most productive as you will get far more individual attention. Also, our Edisto facility rocks and you may never want to leave!
We are the only K9 training facility that offers first class Bed & Breakfast style living quarters for not only the handler, but family members as well. Furthermore, Edisto Island is a vacation paradise. We are conveniently located only five miles from Edisto Beach, 2 miles from Botany Bay, and Edisto Island offers some of the best fishing and hunting available in the US. Just check out some of these photos to see what we are talking about.
Train hard all week and spend your weekend with your family fishing or kayaking. If you are a hunter, book a guided boar, turkey, deer hunt with one of our local outfitters. Train here with us once and you will come back again and again.
We offer on and off-site training with certification in the following formats:
1) Basic Trailing:
- This course is designed for the new trailing handler just starting out with scent discrimination and long distance trailing. We teach you the basics of scent article production, preservation, and protection, (The Three P’s), trailing equipment, and basic handling techniques.
- This class is five days. Day one morning is scent theory classroom with videos and slide shows. The afternoon is handler and K9 evaluations. Days 2-5 are all hands on fieldwork in the areas of K9 trailing and visual tracking.
- 6 Student minimum for “off-site” training; 1 Trainer to 6 Student Ratio. We require a classroom with AV capability including a projector.
- Edisto Island Tracker School Training is a maximum of 1-3 students. We offer on site handler’s quarters that include room and board for handler’s and K9’s. We have large 40X40’ out door dog runs as well as indoor kennels for inclement weather.
- Our handler’s quarters are in a completely refurbished 200 year old cabin with a loft, screened in porch, kitchen, bathroom, and satellite TV.
- **Each Student will receive a copy of Jeff’s 200 page training manual: K9 Trailing; The Straightest Path. Alpine Publications, 2010.
2) Advanced Trailing
- This class takes over where the basic course left off. We teach the student how to handle urban scenarios and begin to work on trailing tactics.
- This is a five-day course of all fieldwork. No down time in the classroom other than review of personal training video.
3) Tactical Tracker Teams
- The TTT Course is the cream of our crop. This is where we take hot dogs with high power tactical teams, marry them up, and turn them in to manhunter “Find ‘em and Fix ‘em”.
- We are not just running the dogs on short little 100 yard trails with canned training results. All of our scenarios are in wilderness environments where the subject of the hunt has every chance to win. The FTX tests are double blind and the subjects as well as the team members are outfitted with M3 Platform paintball guns. Make a mistake and you will pay for it. We believe there is no better way to learn than reality based training
- This course is five days with Day 1 consisting of classroom tactics training and orientation. Days 2-5 are all field work and final certification.
Tactical Tracking Programs
This course is designed to teach SWAT teams the fundamental elements of successful long-range, high-risk fugitive manhunt ops. Our program includes command post operations, tactical tracking K9 team field craft, and support unit applications. Tactical Tracker Teams
*Our trailing training has been California POST certified since 1998 and at the time, was the first program of its type. We pioneered the K9 Trailing training method in the Golden State.
Georgia K9 Tracker School Edisto Island. Enjoy the wonders of Edisto Island its beaches and other surrounding barrier islands while training your K9.